Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The perfectly imperfect baby dolly

Her she is... the perfectly imperfect baby dolly. I saw this cute little doll on a website and thought, hey I can do that, I can make my two year old a cute little doll.... easier said than done. Apparently my sewing skills aren't what they used to be! Not that I was ever a great seamstress but I once sewed two amazing stockings with intricate detail. This time, I couldn't figure out why the thread wouldn't move nicely (apparently it had gotten stuck in the edge of the holder), and sewing one arm took much more skill than I remember. It may be that I made the doll while being sick, dehydrated, and my mental faculites may be lacking.... or so thats what I am blaming it on! This, the dolly that I thought would take 20 minutes, took 2 hours. Her skirt is too short, her arms a little limp, her legs are lumpy (I didn't have stuffing but one of our old couch pillows had sprung a leak so I pulled her insides out of there), her face is a bit too small, and her head won't stand up on its own... but Addy loves her. She watched me intently as I worked on her and held her parts before we put her all together. When I asked her what the baby's name was going to be she replied very matter of factly, "Baby Dolly", why of course, why wouldn't her name be baby dolly. I had been telling her I was making her a baby dolly and so it is... the perfectly imperfect baby dolly and one very happy toddler who loves her baby dolly.


I will be making another one for Tyler too!

6 comments:

Jennifer G. said...

I would say that doll is perfect, and the very best kind of all -- made with love!

Shawna said...

Awwww...it looks awesome!!! I esp. love that you took her stuffing from a pillow!! Can't wait to see her in person!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Jennifer--Baby Dolly is perfect. You made her with your own hands and heart and that is all that matters.
bridget

Deb said...

I love it and would totally buy one.
Also, dryer lint works as a great stuffing.

Stacy said...

That is so, so precious!

Unknown said...

The imperfections are what make it the most special!