Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hair Play Date!!!

This week we scheduled a special playdate to talk about hair, hair products, and hair accesories. I know many of you think I am obsessed with Addy's hair, but we want to do what is best for it to keep it healthy. Plus she has beautiful tight little curls which are great for doing fun styles and who doesn't love that!

For those of you who don't know much about African American hair (I sure didn't prior to Addy!), AA hair is much dryer and breaks very easily. There are many different types of AA hair as well, different textures, curliness, tightness of curls, dryness, curl patterns etc. And each of these types responds differently to different products and styles. Which makes finding the perfect combination of products a little more challenging. So there is a big learning curve and as the child grows, their hair texture may change too so different products may work better at different stages of life.

So as Addy grows, we will be using our hair time as special mommy and me time! We'll watch movies, talk, and spend quality time once a week while doing her hair. I am hoping it will be a positive experience for both of us and will help Addy know that she has beautiful hair no matter what the texture or what style it is in.

So the three of us got together (all three with kids with different but similar hair types) and brought all of our products and products we had tried. We talked about each one, what we liked, didn't like, smelled them all (some smell odd or really strong), and got samples to try on our kiddos head to see if we want to get some for ourselves. What works for one kid even with similar hair may not work for another. And we had a TON of products, a whole coffee table full (should have taken a picture of that)! We compared snaps, barrettes, and clips; and discussed what worked well for us.

And so I came away with samples of two products I wanted to try, Blended Beauty conditioner and Taliah Waajid Lock it Up. So we will see how those work for Miss Addy J. I think I will stick with our normal routine and try each separately so I know what they are doing instead of trying both and then not knowing which one really helped.

So next steps for our hair play dates.... Start an exel sheet of products for us all to comment on, and order a ton of snaps online as a big group to save on cost!

So while we talked hair, the kiddos played! They have GOT to be the CUTEST kids in the world! (left to right: Addy, Emmerson, Sophia)







1 comment:

Stacy said...

Sounds and looks like so much fun and such a great idea! I was hoping someone would blog about the evening and I hope you will all share some of the ideas and info with me! I have SOOOO much to learn and so far to go...