Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hair Hair Hair

Who knew that doing a babies hair would be so much more important than doing my own.

When we started adoption, I had really never thought about hair. It just wasn't something even popped into my head. I knew that if we adopted an African American or Ethiopian baby that I would have to learn to braid and learn to "do" hair. I had no idea what all it entailed. I always figured that we would bring home a bald baby and I would just learn about hair as it grew.

Well, our baby was born with and came home with a full head of thick, beautiful, dense coils.

And so it began....

I started learning as much about hair as I could, found online forums, videos, yahoo groups, trying to figure out what I needed to do to keep these precious curls healthy. Four product lines later, I think I have a good system working at the moment.

A few notes on AA hair....
  • Its MUCH drier
  • Breaks much easier
  • Shouldn't be washed very often
  • Is more dry and fragile if left "free"
  • Can change texture during life
And so I started trying new styles... Some worked, some didn't. I sent out a picture of Addy's first hair do to a few people. It was when she was about three months old and had three puffs in the front. I got back and email from Grandma saying it was my first "hair don't"! Since then we have done coils which is just adorable and keeps her hair fairly free but looking much more defined and curled. And last night I took the plunge. After emailing back and forth to a few other moms, I got instructions and suggested products for doing flat twists and two strand twists. And so I twisted. It looks so cute but makes her look like a real little girl, so much older than the little baby we brought home less than a year ago.


How, you might ask, do you even attempt to do hair on a wiggly baby? Wait until she is ASLEEP!!! Makes it MUCH easier. We just plop her on the couch or Jared holds her on his chest and I sit and twist!

And so here it is!! Little clips and all, fairly straight parts, and its already lasted through one night!


And so what has this taught me so far? It has taught me patience, to enjoy the moment, to look forward to hair nights, to be ready to always learn more and try new things.
Most importantly it has made me excited to look forward to special mommy & Addy time to rent a movie and do hair.

3 comments:

Robyn Meeso said...

Oh, super cute. Way to go. Who knew you would be good at doing hair? I always thought I had the special touch but it's obvious now who's the natural. French braids soon?

SunShine said...

WOW, excellent job-- I agree with your grandma on the first hair try-- ha ha!! =) It looks LOVELY, and you're picking up very NICELY!! What a great mom you are!! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenn: We just got back from our week in the BWCA and was excited to see that you are blogging Addy. We do a blog with our business site so I know what work it is. You are doing a great job. Keep it up. Addy looks beautiful. Any hope i n teaching Jared???